Abilities Enrichment and Readiness Opportunities (AERO)
AERO is an after-school program for students needing intensive transition services. At The Arc of Butler County, we understand how important it is for young adults (students) to gain the necessary skills and behaviors for life after graduation.
AERO was designed to facilitate a successful transition to the adult world for students needing intensive transition services. It provides opportunity for employment and community living through formal planning (involving educators, parents, students and community agencies), appropriate curriculum, and experiences to promote a smooth transition into living and working independently in the community.
The curriculum centers around personal, career, and life management.
- Budgeting—Earn money through work activities, prepare a shopping list with a budget, and go to the store to complete purchases
- Job Applications/Resumes—Learn how to complete applications and create a resume; including relating skills to desired position
- Interview—Interview with Job Coaching staff to help simulate a realistic interview setting
- Job Finding—Research job requirements and duties of desired positions to help make informed decisions
- Job Shadowing—Participate in job shadowing activities that enable them to get an in-depth look at what a job entails prior to applying
Daily Living Skills
- Community Integration—Participate in the community by performing civic volunteer activities of their choice, shopping, and seeking employment opportunities
- Appropriate Communication/Behavior—Learn how to effectively communicate their emotions through interaction with peers and staff
- Cooking—Learn how to make different recipes while keeping dietary needs in mind- also, student learns budgeting for grocery shopping and healthy eating habits
- Technology—Utilize Able Link Technology Apps to assist in developing skills towards independence
- Socialization—Attend multiple community events and learn positive social skills with peers in the classroom
AERO is located at 316 N. Main Street in Butler and is currently being offered to students of Butler Area School District.
For more information about AERO, please contact:
Special Projects Coordinator
724.283.3300 ext. 117